Taking a Vacation

Before you head out…

Do you have all the products and services you need?

Some pre-travel planning and arranging will help ensure you don’t experience preventable money problems while you are away from home.

1. MEMBER ACTION REQUIRED WHEN TRAVELLING OUTSIDE OF CANADA – Inform Churchbridge Credit Union of your travel plans.  Churchbridge Credit Union has implemented a new Travel Notification Service for members travelling outside of Canada.  This new service will help protect your money and personal information from criminals who make their living from fraudulent activity.  We take this issue very seriously and one of the steps we’ve taken in the past to reduce card fraud and protect you, was to add a CHIP to your MEMBERCARD® debit card and the Churchbridge Credit Union MasterCard credit card product.  This has helped significantly reduce risk to our members here in Canada.

When Churchbridge Credit Union implemented the CHIP technology, we left the magnetic stripe on the back of your card so that you could still use your cards at places where CHIP has not been implemented.  Many countries outside of Canada do not use this technology and will swipe your card using the magnetic stripe.  By using the swipe method, your card is not protected to the same degree as it is here in Canada.

Our new Travel Notification Service allows your card(s) to work while you’re travelling outside of Canada where CHIP doesn’t exist. It also prevents criminals from accessing your account should your card be compromised. All you need to do is notify us in advance of where and when you are travelling. We will set up your MEMBERCARD® Debit Card so you’re ready to travel. If you’re planning to use your MasterCard credit card, please call the number on the back of your card and let them know as well. There is no cost to you for this service and it’s a great way to help reduce the risk of fraud and give you peace of mind while travelling.


  • Notify your local Churchbridge Credit Union branch and let them know in advance if you’re travelling outside of Canada; we will look after the rest!
  • If you do not notify your local Churchbridge Credit Union branch and your MEMBERCARD® Debit Card is declined, contact us by phone while you are travelling. We’ll set up a Travel Notification and your card(s) will work immediately.
  • If you are going to use your credit card, be sure to call MasterCard and notify them as well.


2. Check with your Card provider to confirm that your card will be accepted at your travel destination. Certain restrictions may apply – for example your card may not even be accepted at your travel destination.

3. Review Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada travel reports. These advisories provide valuable risk management advice on your destination along with travel and currency information (exchange practices can change so don’t rely on what worked the last time you visited a foreign country). Follow this link: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

4. Consider having access to alternative payment sources such as Traveler’s Cheques, extra cash, or an alternate card. Also, it is a good idea to carry only the card you will usually be using and keep the backup payment sources in a safe location where you are staying. This provides further safeguards in case you are robbed or misplace your belongings.

5. Keep a record of your card numbers and your Card provider’s contact numbers in a safe location. In the event you need to contact your Card provider, this information will prove invaluable.

6. Contact your branch in advance to ensure the currency you require will be available.

7. Don’t carry more than one day’s cash on your body. Keep extra monies in a safe location.

8. Ensure that your Will and Power of Attorney documents are in place and up to date.

9. Once you have returned home, change the PIN on any debit cards or credit cards you used while travelling.

To report a Lost/Stolen MemberCard® Debit Card

After hours please call 1-888-277-1043

If your Churchbridge Credit Union Collabria Mastercard is lost or stolen, please call the following number:

Canada and U.S.: 1.855.341.4643

International Collect: 1.647.252.9564